Skin ages over time. It’s inevitable. But we can have young looking skin for longer. Simply follow these five natural tips to slow down the aging process and stay younger longer.
- The most important thing you can do is to limit exposure to the sun. The sun ages skin quicker than anything. When in the sun make sure you use sun block to limit the effects.
- Consume foods high in selenium. Selenium ‘kills off’ free radicals. Free radicals can break down collagen. Collagen is responsible for tightening the skin. Examples of such foods include corn, wheat, rice, brazil nuts, walnuts, soybeans, beef, chicken, egg, cheese and tuna.
- Phytochemicals can be described as any nutrient derived from a plant source. Phytochemicals have many benefits for the skin and should be included in your diet for optimum skin functioning and appearance. Foods high in phytochemicals include red, green, yello and orange vegetables, dark leafy greens, cruciferous vegetables, citrus fruits, berries (especially blueberries), whole grains, beans, garlic, leeks and flaxseeds.
- Drink plenty of water. Water flushes out toxins from the body which can be responsible for prematurely aging skin. Water also keeps the skin hydrated.
5. Avoid stress. Stress is responsible for premature aging on the inside and outside. Stress makes you feel lethargic and lacking in energy. On the outside it causes wrinkles and dramatically ages the skin, as well as causing greying of the hair. Either avoid stressful situations, or learn to manage them. Stress balls, deep breathing and relaxation are some ways to eliminate stress.